Apples are in season which means it’s that time of the year where we go apple baking crazy! This Apple Butter recipe is fabulous. Not only is it absolutely delicious, it will make your house smell amazing! You get the taste and smell of homemade apple pie, without all of the calories and fats!
- 4 lbs apples (Granny Smith are my favorite)
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 TBSP Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Core and peel apples. Cut apples into bite size pieces.
- Combine apples, apple cider, brown sugar, honey and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Stirring often, cook until apples are soft. This takes approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add lemon juice, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Using a blender puree the mixture until smooth.
- Return the mixture to the Dutch oven and bake in the oven uncovered for 2.5 – 3 hours. Stir every 30 minutes. Cook until apples are the desired color, texture and consistency.
- Remove mixture from oven and let cool. Transfer into a container and keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Try Apple Butter as a healthy alternative on your toast, biscuits, pancakes, pork chops and more!