Apples are in season which means it’s that time of the year where we go apple baking crazy! This Apple Butter recipe is fabulous. Not only is it absolutely delicious, it will make your house smell amazing! You get the taste and smell of homemade apple pie, without all of the calories and fats!
- 4 lbs apples (Granny Smith are my favorite)
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 TBSP Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Peel, cut and core apples.
- Combine apples, apple cider, brown sugar, honey and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir often and cook until apples are partially are soft. This takes approximately 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla and cloves.
- In a immersion blender (a regular blender) puree the mixture until smooth.
- Return the mixture to the Dutch oven and bake, uncovered for 2.5 – 3 hours. Make sure to stir every 30 minutes. Cook until apples have turned into a deep amber color and have thickened to your desired consistency.
- Remove mixture from oven and let cool. Transfer into an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Try Apple Butter on toast, waffles, pancakes, pork chops and more! It’s the healthy alternative to butter, gravy or syrup!