The one thing I hear from most new couponers is that they forget to use the coupons at the store! They go through all of the time to clip them out and then, they get left behind. It can be very frustrating and make you want to quit before you really have a chance to put them to work for you.
This was an issue for my husband. Well, he would take the coupons with him to the store, but then not even use them! We devised a system that helps him not only remember to really check brands and prices, but then use the coupons when he gets to checkout.
We call this the Two Envelope System. It is really easy to follow and before you know it, you’ll be remembering your coupons and won’t have to use it (if you don’t want to).
- Make your shopping list. Make notations of which items have coupons you want to redeem. (You can download a free shopping list right here).
- Find two envelopes. One the outside of one write:”COUPONS TO USE.” On the other one you will write: “GIVE TO CASHIER.”
- Place all of the coupons you want to use into the COUPONS TO USE envelope.
- As you shop your list and place items into your cart, find the matching coupon and move it into the GIVE TO CASHIER envelope. Don’t forget to check prices of other products and make sure that using your coupon really will be a better deal.
- When you get to checkout, just hand the GIVE TO CASHIER envelope over and you’ll have used all of your coupons!
You can find more Beginning Couponing Tips right here, on Penny Pinchin’ Mom!