If you live in a part of the country which participates in Daylight Savings, you will want to make sure you remember to change those clocks tonight! Daylight Savings ends at 2 am on November 1st. That means you will FALL BACK one hour. It is usually a good idea to change those clocks before you head to bed tonight (so you don’t forget)!
There are also other things you should do each year when you change those clocks. Here are five ideas for you:
1. Change the batteries in your smoke and CO2 detectors. Even if you “think” they are still good, it is wise to change them, so you know they are fresh. A simple investment of $20 in batteries could save your families lives. Find a list of the current battery coupons HERE.
2. Review your family escape and meet up plan. In the event there is a fire, your family members should all know how to get out of the house. There should also be a meet up place for all of you, so you know if someone didn’t make it out, so you can send in firefighters to help. If your kids are smaller, it may also be very good to practice the escape routes so you all know exactly how to get out alive.
3. Make sure your important documents are up to date. Did something happen to change your life insurance? Did you update passwords or other information? Did someone move and have a new address? Take this weekend to update all of these items and forms. We’ve actually got many free forms to help you make this task simpler.
4. Clean out the medicine cabinet. Check for expired meds or prescription drugs you no longer take and dispose of them. Make sure you do not just simply toss them into the trash can though – as you would hate for them to end up in the wrong hands. Check out this list of tips from the FDA on safe drug disposal.
5. Clean out your clothes. Go through those items from spring and summer and if you did not wear them, they are worn out or no longer fit, pull them out and toss and donate them. Then, take all of your fall and winter items and hang them “backwards” on your clothes rack. As you wear the items, you can hang them up the normal way. Then, at the end of the season, you will see the items that you did not wear and can get ride of them.