These paper pinwheels are the perfect decor for creating a beautiful background for your next birthday party, baby shower or holiday decor or even a photo shoot backdrop! The best part is that there are several ways to make this project your own, simply adjust the size of the pinwheels (larger/smaller), make center buttons different sizes, or don’t use a center button at all. You can also make the the pinwheel using several different colors of paper to make a more unique design.
No matter what you choose to do – have fun and make this project your own! I had so much fun making these Christmas inspired pinwheel with my kids and just love how they turned out!
- Scrapbook Paper, old books, maps and other paper products (I used DCWV scrapbook paper it’s my favorite!)
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue
- Round Objects (for making center circles, ie. dixie cup, glass, mason jar ring…)
- String, ribbon, twine or tape (for hanging the pinwheels)
- Take your scrapbook paper and begin to fold 1 inch wide accordion folds. You will basically be creating two paper fans (like you did as a kid).
- Take each of the fans and fold them evenly in half.
- Trim ends of the paper into a rounded shape with scissors (optional).
- With the hot glue, connect the two ends of the fold fan together. Repeat this step with the second fan and then glue the two fans together.
- On a different colored paper trace and cut a circle (change it up try different sizes) or use a large hole punch. Glue the circle to the center of the pinwheel on both sides.
- If you plan on hanging the pinwheel from a string, ribbon or twine make sure to glue it directly to the back of the pinwheel where you attached the circle. (This step is not required. You can attach the pinwheel directly to the wall like I did with duct tape.)