WINNER: Janice K. – jlkgmk@xxxxxx
August is Get Ready for Kindergarten Month. It just so happens that one of these kids lives under my roof. Yep – my son starts kindergarten on August 15th. And for the record, I am sure I will cry on his first day.
There is a lot to worry about when your child start school: Will he/she make friends easily? Will he/she thrive in the classroom? However, I personally know that my son is prepared for kindergarten. He has been playing with VTech toys for….well…years!
It is important to understand how children learn and play in the digital age, and how these types of products can help prepare children with the basic learning skills required for Kindergarten. A report by Eric Klopfer, Ph.D., Associate Professor and the Director of the MIT Scheller Teacher Education Program, and a platform learning expert on the VTech Expert Advisory Panel shared the following:
- Math and literacy skills can be deeply imbedded into digital games, and allow children to acquire important skills via a more natural method that doesn’t look like learning.
- Digital games often involve problem solving and creative thinking along with core competencies such as math and reading, making them more fun than single curriculum games and helping to develop a broader skill set.
- Digital learning does not replace learning off-screen – so educational games should not be seen as a replacement, but rather a supplement to time-tested educational methods.
- Contrary to popular belief, games are not just a solitary interaction between a single person and a screen, but a social activity – kids watch as their siblings and friends play, and post-game conversations involve discussing game strategy.
VTech offers educational products featuring the popular characters from the multiple award-winning Dinosaur Train television series. This can bea great way to engage children in learning activities and pre-Kindergarten skill preparation.
The V.Reader Interactive E-Reading System, which is recommended for children ages 3 – 7, is a digital learning toy that encourages young kids to learn to read and improve their vocabulary. Featuring brightly colored buttons, a large touch screen, and a see-through protective case cover, the V.Reader helps children develop the necessary building blocks to grow from a pre-reader to a confident and fluent reader.
The Dinosaur Train cartridge features many learning experiences:
- Watch the Story contains an adaptation of the “T.Rex Teeth” animated television episode
- Story Dictionary contains an alphabetical list of vocabulary words from the story, along with follow-up questions that relate to some definitions .
- There are five Reading Games: answer questions about the story in What Happened?, help Buddy and friends spell words correctly in Hopscotch Spelling, match singular and plural nouns in Leaflet, Leaflets, pair uppercase and lowercase letters in Collecting Teeth and hone listening comprehension in Don’s Collection.
There are also just for fun games in Mini Games: children can feed Buddy and friends in I Love Fish, punch tickets with Mr. Conductor in Tickets, Please!, rotate puzzle pieces in Leaf Puzzles and find Buddy and friends i Dino Seek.
Here are the easy ways to keep up with all of the great products offered by VTech:
Follow Dinosaur Train:
Follow The Jim Henson Company:
Follow PBS Kids:
One reader will receive a VTech V. Reader + Dinosuar Train V.Reader Cartrdige!!!
Entry is simple — just leave a comment answering the question. You can gain bonus entries if I’ve listed them below — just leave a separate comment for method of entry. Note: All comments must be left HERE on the blog. Comments left via Facebook, Google+ or Twitter will not be included.
1. What steps do you take to prepare your children for school (whether they are heading into kindergarten or not)?
1. Follow VTech on Facebook.
This contest will be open until August 10th 11:59 p.m. CST. The winner will be chosen at random and contacted via email. Said winner will have 48 hours in which to provide me with their mailing address so that the prize can be forwarded to them. GOODLUCK!!!
Penny Pinchin’ Mom received nothing in exchange for hosting this giveaway. All opinions contained within this post are her own and were not influenced by any other parties. Be entering this giveaway/sweepstakes, you are attesting that you have read and can comply with the Giveaway Terms & Conditions.