We are continuing with our series on how to save on groceries — even if you don’t have a coupon! These items below are things we need, and we purchase, even if we don’t have a coupon or one is never available. Here are a few food items, beginning with the letter “H” which you can purchase in bulk when you find a great deal!
Ham is a great meat to stock up on in November and December when it is at its cheapest for the holidays. It can be frozen for up to 6 months in a deep freeze.
- Stock up time is during the summer holidays (Memorial day, 4th of July, and Labor day)
- Can be frozen for 1 to 2 months for maximum quality
- Store unopened in the fridge for up to 2 weeks
- Once opened use within 1 week
Hot Dog and Hamburger Buns
- If you’re stocking up on hot dogs, don’t forget the buns! The summer is the best time to stock up on hot dog and hamburger buns too
- Can be frozen for up to 2 months. It’s bet to seperate the buns and then wrap individually or in sets of 2 or 3 to help keep them fresh and they’re easier to pull out and use a few at a time.
- Can be grown easily in a container garden and can be freshly picked when you want them
- To freeze, cut in half or quarters and put in freezer bags to keep fresh longer
Heavy Cream can be quite expensive and coupons are few and far between
- You can make your own quite easily with just milk and butter! Make your own by combining 2/3 cup whole milk with 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter. This will give you 1 cup of heavy cream.
- Purchased Heavy Cream can be frozen for 1 to 2 months. When frozen in it’s liquid state it will not whip up once thawed, but can be used in recipes when baking.
- You can whip up the heavy cream and drop by spoon fulls, or in small containers and freeze already whipped.
- Store in cool dry place
- Can be store in refrigerator in airtight container
- To freeze, place in an airtight container or freezer bag and store for up to 6 months, remove and use as needed
Make sure you check out ALL of the tips we’ve shared – just click the letter for the food you want to know more about!!