We are continuing with our series on how to save on groceries — even if you don’t have a coupon! These items below are things we need, and we purchase, even if we don’t have a coupon or one is never available. Here are a few food items, beginning with the letter “I” which you can purchase in bulk when you find a great deal!
Italian sausage is great in a lot of dishes – here are some tips for storing:
- Do not open until ready to use.
- It is good in the refrigerator for 1 – 2 days after purchase.
- Wrap package in foil prior to placing in the deep freeze.
- It is usually good for up to 2 months (sometimes longer if properly packaged).
When you find a good deal on ice cream, you might want to grab a little extra for your freezer. Just keep these tips in mind:
- Do not allow ice cream to repeatedly soften and re-freeze. When ice cream’s small ice crystals melt and re-freeze, they can eventually turn into large, unpalatable lumps.
- Store in the main part of your freezer – never on the door.
- Do not store near uncovered food as the ice cream can absorb the flavor
- The ice cream toppings can be good for up to 2 years if left unopened and stored in a cool dry place.
- Keep in a cool dry place in your kitchen for optimum flavor/quality.
- If freezing, wrap in foil and place in your freezer.
- When properly packaged, it can be good for up to 3 months in your freezer.
Make sure you check out ALL of the tips we’ve shared – just click the letter for the food you want to know more about!!