We are continuing with our series on how to save on groceries — even if you don’t have a coupon! These items below are things we need, and we purchase, even if we don’t have a coupon or one is never available. Here are a few food items, beginning with the letter “T” which you can purchase in bulk when you find a great deal!
Tangerines (also known as Mandarin Oranges) come fresh or canned. Here are some storage tips to keep in mind:
- Fresh — good for up to 1 week in the pantry or 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- To freeze them, wash, cut and divide into fruit sections (take out the membranes and seeds); mix 2 3/4 cups of sugar and 4 cups of water and mix until clear — bring to a boil. Cool the syrup and pour over the tangerines. Store in air tight containers for up to 12 months in the freezer.
- Canned mandarin oranges are good for up to 18 months in the pantry if unopened.
- Tomato Soup – 12 to 18 months
- Tomato Sauce – 2 to 3 months (once opened, it is good for 5-7 days in the refrigerator)
- Tomato Paste – 2 to 3 months (once opened, it is also good for up to 7 days in the refrigerator)
- Tomatoes (crushed, stewed, diced, etc) – 2 to 3 months (once opened, also good for up to 7 days in the refrigerator)
- Good for up to 5 days in the pantry (or until ripened).
- Once ripe, they are good for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- You can freeze them, just wash and pat dry (or peel them to remove the skins – boil for 30 seconds to loosen). You may leave them whole or cut them up prior to freezing (might be helpful to dice them so that they are ready for your dishes when you pull them from the freezer). Place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze. Once frozen place in air tight containers or baggies. If you decide to do portions, place them in 1/4 or 1/2 cup measurements for ease in using in your favorite dishes.
- Frozen tomatoes are good for up to 2 months.
- Prepackaged/sealed taco shells are good for up to 1 year in your pantry; once opened they are good for around a month.
- Tortilla shells which are sold unrefrigerated, they are good for up to 4 weeks (or the date on the package) or up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Tortiall shells which are sold from the refrigerator are good for up to 2 months in the refrigerator (or the date on the package) or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Make sure you check out ALL of the tips we’ve shared – just click the letter for the food you want to know more about!!