We are continuing with our series on how to save on groceries — even if you don’t have a coupon! These items below are things we need, and we purchase, even if we don’t have a coupon or one is never available. As we near the end of the alphabet, there are few foods which start with “U”, so I am combining “U” and “V” into one post.
Vegetable Juice can be found on sale and the deals made even better when you combine those with a coupon. Here are some storage tips:
- If the can is leaning, rusted, bulging or dented — store into a pitcher and consume quickly.
- If unopened and sealed, it is good for 12 – 18 months in your pantry.
- Once opened, it is good in the refrigerator for 3 – 4 days.
- You can store in airtight containers (do not freeze in metal cans) for up to 6 months. If you have a plastic container, pour out at least 1/2 – 1 cup prior to reclosing and freezing.
- If purchase fresh and uncooked, they are good in the refrigerator for 3 – 5 days.
- If planning on freezing, place into the freezer sooner than the number of days noted above. Make sure to wrap in foil or freezer paper and place in freezer bags. They can be good for 4 – 6 months.
- Store at room temperature for up to 1 week in a plastic bag.
- If kept in the refrigerator, they are good for up to 2 weeks.
- To freeze ugli fruit, clean and slice into sections (remove membranes and seeds). Mix 2 3/4 c. sugar and 4 c. water and boil. Cool and pour over the fruit. Place fruit with syrup into freezer safe (air tight) containers. The fruit is good for 10-12 months.
- The spray is good for up to 2 years.
- If the spray changes in color, texture or odor, then discard immediately.
- Pure vanilla extract has an indefinite shelf life!
- Imitation vanilla extract is good for up to 4 years.
- Vinegar keeps indefinitely.
- Vinegar may change in color or even slightly in flavor, however, it is still alright for consumption, as long as stored in a cool, dark area with the lid closed tightly
Make sure you check out ALL of the tips we’ve shared – just click the letter for the food you want to know more about!!