One of the most popular shopping destinations for home electronics and entertainment is Best Buy. You can find just about anything you need from laptops to gaming systems, televisions, appliances and every accessory you can imagine! Of course, these items are some of the most pricey, which can mean that you may not always get the best price you want.
If you shop at Best Buy very often, you know that finding coupons are pretty rare. In fact, the only way most people really believe that they can save is to just buy an item when it is on sale. I’ve actually got TEN secret tips to save you money at Best Buy!!
1. Coupons. Although rare, they do pop up from time to time. In fact, it is has been a few years since we’ve seen one that you can print and use in the store. What may work best when shopping at Best Buy is to see if there is a free shipping code or other online discount. That is really the best you will do when it comes to tracking down a coupon.
2. Check out refurbished items. You can also shop their refurbished site called CowBoom and even the Best Buy Outlet (both online) where you can find some deep discounts. You might even try the Best Buy Ebay store where they offer some of their same discounts as on their website (even if the website shows that it is out of stock).
3. Shop Wisely During The Holidays. Black Friday (and now, actually Black Week through Cyber Monday) is typically when you will truly find the best deals of the year. The reason that we don’t see them very often is that electronics manufacturers rarely allow retailers to discount products below a set price. What Best Buy will do is add in a free gift card with purchase.
4. Price Match. Did you know that Best Buy will price match online retailers? They will match the following stores: Amazon, BHPhotovideo, Crutchfield, Dell, HP, NewEgg and TigerDirect. When you are in the store, just do a quick search to see if the item you need is priced lower online and they will match it. It must be the exact item (search by SKU to make sure) and they will only do one price match per customer. They also suspend price matching during Black Week and Cyber Monday, so you will need to check with your store to know the policy before you try to match.
One other little known secret is that sometimes, Best Buy will retroactively price match. That means if you purchase an item and the price drops during the eligible return period (see below), they will refund you the difference! Just take in your receipt to show verification of your purchase.
5. Join Best Buy Rewards Programs. Best Buy has a program called My Best Buy Rewards. It is completely free to join and you earn points on every purchase made. When you earn 250 points, you will receive a $5 reward certificate (or gift card) which you can redeem on anything at Best Buy.
Best Buy Cardholder get even more from this program! You will earn 5% back in rewards when you shop using your card. There are also special invitations extended only to cardholders which will get you early access to special sales and events.
If you are a frequent Best Buy Shopper and happen to spend anywhere from $1500 – $3500 in annual purchases, you will be upgraded to the Elite or ElitePlus membership. These members enjoy additional perks such as free expedited shopping, extended return policies and increased rewards points.
6. Special Discounts for Gamers. Gamers will also want to make sure they sign up for the My Best Buy Gamers Club to get even more benefits including double points on new video games, accessories and digital content. A 2 year paid membership scores even additional perks such as 20% off of new video games, 10% off of pre-owned games and even a 10% bonus trade-in credit.
Know the return policy. Best Buy will allow most items to be returned within 15 days for a full refund, even if you have opened it. Just make sure you have your receipt, ID and all of the packaging and contents. There are, of course, a few exceptions to this policy:
- My Best Buy Elite and Elite Plus members receive an extended return and exchange period of up to 45 days.
- Cell phones and other devices sold with a carrier contract may be returned within 14 days.
- Holiday returns included an extended return period. Purchases made between November 1 – December 31 have an extended return period through January 15 of the following year.
- Opened software, movies, music and video games can only be exchanged for an identical item.
- Special Order items will be refunded at 85% of the original purchase price.
- Custom orders are non-returnable.
- Bundled items or promotional discount items can be returned individually. Best Buy will refund you only what has been returned, less the discount or freebie amount.
- If you’re missing items or packaging you can still return for a small deduction on your refund.
- Other non-refundable purchases include digital content, prepaid cards, memberships, completed services, and items that are damaged or missing major components.
7. Shop Video Games in Bundles. If you wanting to get a new gaming system, watch for bundles. They often toss in a multiple games and sometimes, even accessories. If you price them out individually, you will pay more than if you purchase it in a bundle.
8. Purchase discounted gift cards. This is one of the simplest ways to save on your Best Buy purchases. When you purchase a gift card at a discount, that is instant savings – right in your pocket! Find out how you can score discounted cards and even a FREE $5 credit towards your first purchase through Raise.com!! Click HERE for details.
9. Get your HDTV here. If you want to find the best pricing on HDTVs, Best Buy is most often the place to go. They usually will meet or beat competing sites, which gets you the best possible price for the television you want.
10. Use Site to Store pickup. This is a great option because you can score a hot online deal, but still get your item on the same day. Not only that, you can avoid paying shipping charges as well, which is an added perk.
Which other tips do you have to add to our list?