Penny Pinchin’ Mom received this product in order to facilitate her review. All opinions are her own.
It is no secret that my husband and I use cash for all of our purchases. In fact, we don’t even use a debit card very often! The one time we do is when we shop on-line and honestly, I hate that I have to use that card and risk my information being compromised. Unfortunately, it has happened to me before and my account information was stolen and used the wrong way. Fortunately, my bank made it right, but it just still makes me nervous to open up potential access to my bank account in that manner.
Since I don’t advocate the use of credit cards, I really didn’t see any other options for my husband and I when shopping online. That was until I heard about GreenDot. This is a way to get the safety of shopping online, but still use cash at the same time?! How – well, GreenDot sells Prepaid Mastercard and Visa. You just load the balance you want to spend onto the card and that is all the money you have at your disposal.
There are some very important things you need to know about the Green Dot Prepaid Debit Card:
- There is no purchase fee to get a card online and in stores you can purchase a card for $4.95 or less (varies by retailer). You will register your card online or via a 1-800 # as listed on the card. Keep in mind that they WILL require you to provide your name, address, date of birth, Social Security number, phone number and other methods of verification. This is not so they can use this for any reason themselves. It is actually required by Federal Law, so they must ask this information.
- No overdraft fees and no credit check or minimum balance requirements.
- Available as a Visa or MasterCard Debit Card
- You must be at LEAST 18 years old to purchase and use this card.
- There is a $5.95 monthly fee. However, this fee is waived for any month you load $1,000 or more.
- You can have your paycheck directly deposited onto your card, if you wish.
- Check your balance and transactions anytime, find reload locations or MoneyPass ATMs, and register and activate your card all through Green Dot’s mobile app.
I actually tried out the card myself. It was very simple for me to up and then use online. I was able to pick up a gift for one of my family members (sorry – can’t say what I got as that person may read this post). It was great to know that the only information being shared was that card. My bank account can’t be compromised because of my shopping. That gives me amazing peace of mind.
Visit GreenDot to learn more about this card!
One reader will receive a $50 GreenDot PrePaid Card
(must be at least 18 yrs old to enter and to win).
This contest will be open until November 30, 2014, at 11:59 p.m. EST. The winner will be chosen at random and contacted via email. The prize will be mailed to the address provided on the entry form.
GreenDot is the sponsor of this giveaway. By entering this giveaway/sweepstakes, you are attesting that you have read and can comply with the Giveaway Terms & Conditions.