We’ve asked this question in the past and many of you struggle with what in the world to get for your child’s teacher, coach, dance instructor, etc. If you asked a teacher, he or she would say that she really doesn’t want anything at all.
In fact, a personal note from your child would thrill them to no end. However, if you are going to get them something, please try to avoid these items (they have more than their fair share):
- Apple motif items.
- Coffee Mugs.
If they’ve been teaching for a while, they have plenty of these. Try to go with something different for them instead! Here are 25 teacher gift ideas:
1. Gift Cards. Pick one up to a local restaurant or favorite retailer. Let someone else cook dinner for them one night. Many teachers also often purchase many of their own supplies, so a gift card would help defray those costs. You can visit Raise.com to find ways to purchase discounted cards (and right now, I’ll give you $5 free to spend when you sign up).
2. School supplies. This may sound strange, but they’d love this. Take a basket and fill it with pens, post-it notes, tape, sharpies and other supplies. They often have to cover the cost of supplies on their own, so this is one way to really help them.
3. Movie Night. Buy a gift certificate to the local theater. Make sure you include a little extra for snacks. Or, you could buy a box of microwave popcorn, bowl and a RedBox gift card for a movie night in.
4. Books in Honor of Them. It is no secret that teachers want to instill a love of learning and reading in their students. Why not donate books to your child’s library in your teacher’s honor?
5. Maid Service. This is one that I would love! Purchase 4 hours of house cleaning (or whatever increment you can afford). I sure would love it if someone cleaned my house for me!
6. Baked goods in a jar. We all love to be spoiled a little. Put together a mix in a jar so that your teacher can make it when he or she gets home. Pinterest is filled with amazing ideas.
7. Candles/Air Fresheners. OK – let’s face it. Kids can well …um….smell. Why not give your teacher something to help keep his/her room smelling fresh!? Or – even for your coach – no need he/she needs to smell sweat ALL day long!
8. Kitchen Gadgets Basket. Pick up neutral dishcloths, towels and gadgets to create a unique basket. You can find baskets at stores such as Dollar General and Dollar tree. That makes this an affordable gift idea.
9. Magazine Gift Card. What is great about this is that you can get it in the form of a gift card so that your recipient can decide for him/herself as to which title to receive.
10. Personalized Awesome Teacher Handsoap or Hand Sanitzer. Who can’t find bottles of hand sanitizer and clear labels? Teachers spend a lot of their own money on these products – I’m sure they’d appreciate the gesture — PLUS what a CUTE idea!! (Photo credit – Design Mom).
11. Personalized Tote Bag Everyone loves to see their name on something. Teacher/Coaches are always hauling something to and from! The bags from Lands End are always a hit. You can also search Etsy to find some really cute ideas.
12. Alma Mater Items. So many choices for this one! What about a cool coaster to set all those mugs on?
13. Family Time/Game Night. Put together a little basket or container that has a game they can enjoy with their family. Throw in some snacks and your teacher can relax and enjoy some time with their family.
14. Fun socks. Who doesn’t love socks? I love all of the styles at Sockgrams. My husband has a pair of turkey socks we bought from there years ago – and they still look great!
15. Lotion. I always keep my eyes on the deals at Bath & Body Works as they have amazing deals all of the time!
16. Manicure or pedicure gift card. While we’re talking about toes, what about a gift card to a local nail salon? Pamper her (or him) with a manicure or pedicure!
17. Christmas wrapping paper kit. Attach a role of scotch tape to a roll of wrapping paper and help your teacher check one item off of their “to-do” list. You could even grab a package of pretty ribbon or gift tags that match! What a fun & practical gift!
18. Scarf. The perfect accessory that goes with everything- you can find all kinds of printed, plain or patterned scarves.
19. Subscription to a monthly gift box. Popsugar, ipsy, Birchbox are just a few examples of some of the awesome monthly subscription boxes.
20. PJ pants with a sleep mask. Encourage the teacher to get lots of sleep and rest over Christmas break!
21. Reusable ziploc bags. Teachers take their lunch to school too. Find reusable ziploc bags that he or she can use. I love these mason jar bags – they are a hoot!
22. Desk calendar. Give him or her a new calendar for the upcoming year. This one is really cute – you switch the flowers around for each month.
23. Personalized planner/notepad. Make them one of a kind notebook with his or her initials and favorite colors. Add a new pen set and you’ve got a unique gift.
24. Donation to their cause. Each teacher has an organization which means something to them. You could make a donation to their favorite charity or cause and give them a card, letting them know that a donation has been made in his or her name.
25. A heartfelt letter. It may seem simple, but a letter from your child about how much he or she appreciates their teacher means the world to them. Include your own inspiring letter about how he or she is making a difference in your child’s life.
What other ideas do you have to add to our list?