You may not have even realized it, but Amazon just increased it’s minimum order requirement threshold from $35 to $49 for non-Prime members. Yep – It’s true folks. Amazon did not even mention this nor put out an announcement….it just happened….quietly.
They did make one other change to free shipping that is favorable, but only if you shop for books. If you happen to have $25 or more worth of books in your order, then your entire order will ship for free.
Why are they doing this? Shipping costs went up for the retailer this past year and so now, they have to make up that difference by passing along the additional costs to consumers. Of course, Amazon Prime members still can get thousand of items shipped for free every day – no matter how much they spend.
I know many still do not want to pay the $99 annual membership fee to Amazon. I completely get it. That is a lot to put up out front, but there are things that people should look at before counting out a Prime Membership. Your annual membership gives you so much more than just free two-day shipping.
- Amazon Prime members can get members only discounts on select items. These prices are not available to non-members, which results in even greater discounts.
- Prime includes free video on demand. Choose from thousands of movies and tv programs which you can watch — for free! They are included with your paid membership. Just look for the included with Prime wording and you’ll know that you’ve found a free movie to watch!
- You will have access to millions of songs – for free! Download and get your playlist up to date with your favorite tunes, all at no cost to you!
- Another perk is the Free Kindle Lending Library. This awesome feature allows you to read books for free!! You can download and read them – all at absolutely no cost to you. These include titles which are not always free to the general public.
- Free Photo Storage! Many members do not even realize that they have this free feature. If you use another online photo storage service, you may end up having to pay for it. Move your photos to the Amazon Cloud and you’ll still have access to all of your photos — completely free of charge.
- Free shipping. Of course, this is the biggest perk enjoyed by most members. You can enjoy free two-day shipping on thousands of every day items. If you pay attention, you can earn free MP3 credits if you opt for a little longer shipping date (watch for this at checkout).
In addition to Amazon Prime, you might also join Amazon Family, which includes all of the Amazon Prime perks plus instant discounts on diapers and wipes.
You can look for great discounts on Amazon with coupons and even Subscribe & Save items, which score you up to 15% overall discounts on items.
If you have not tried Amazon Prime at all in the past 13 months, you can try it for free for 30 days! Go ahead and sign up and don’t worry about those rising shipping costs.