Chalkboard Cookies with edible chalk are so much fun! They can be the perfect way to send kids back to school — with a sweet treat! You can use them for birthday parties, thank you gifts for teachers….the ideas are just endless.
Best of all, both the chalkboard and the chalk are edible! It’s true! I was inspired by a similar tutorial over at Ashlee Marie. However, I wanted to do something that was a bit simpler (which I know you will also appreciate). It took some time and a bit of experimenting on my part, but in the end, I found the perfect way for you to make this too!
Other fun recipes to check out:Print
Chalkboard Cookies With Edible Chalk
Chalkboard Cookies With Edible Chalk is a fun treat for back to school!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 13 mins
- Total Time: 43 mins
- Yield: 24
- Category: Dessert
- Pillsbury Refrigerated Sugar Cookies
- White Candy Melts
- Milkshake Straws
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 Tablespoons of milk
- Black food coloring
- Melt a bag of white candy melts in a double boiler until smooth.
- Put some sugar in the bottom of a cup.
- Use a large spoon, and press the melted candy melts into the milkshake straws. You will only be able to get the candy melts about three to four inches into the straws.
- Once you fill a milkshake straw with the candy melts, put them down into the sugar in the cup and then chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Once they are completely cool, and hardened, remove them from the straws by pressing the flat end of a skewer stick in firmly until they pop out of the straws.
- Keep the chalk in a cool place until you’re ready to use.
- Bake the sugar cookies as directed, and allow them to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the powdered sugar, corn syrup, and milk.
- Once the frosting is thinned out nicely, add several drops of black food coloring and mix well.
- Apply the frosting THINLY to the top of your cooled cookies.
- Allow the frosting to dry completely before using the chalk on the frosting. This should take 2-3 hours minimum.
Stack cookies in an airtight container.