This cream of broccoli and cauliflower soup is perfect when it turns colder! I always love a bowl of soup on those evenings. But not just any soup. This is one that we all love and once you try it out, you’ll quickly add it to your favorites list!
This is such a simple way to get the kids to eat their veggies – and they think they are just eating a good bowl of yummy soup. They love the flavor and you love that they are eating the foods you want them to. Totally a win-win in my book!
More delicious soups and chilis:Print
Cream of Broccoli & Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 3 cans chicken broth
- 4 cups of broccoli
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups of whole milk
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder (I use seasoning salt)
- Cut broccoli and cauliflower into bite size pieces.
- Boil broccoli and cauliflower directly in the chicken stock until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add onion. Saute onions until soft and translucent.
- Add 2 more tablespoons of butter and the flour 1 tablespoon at a time, to make a rue.
- Once the mixture has created a rue (a paste like consistency) add milk/cream slowly to mixture slowly, whisking while mixture together.
- Split the broccoli/cauliflower mix in half. Take half of the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Pour mixture into the cream-rue mixture, add the remainder of the whole florets to the soup.
- Turn the stove top to down to low and allow the soup to simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Stir soup every 5 minutes or so while it simmers to make sure the cream does not burn to the bottom of the pan.
- Taste and add more salt, pepper, garlic powder, seasoning salt as desired.