We love the beach in our house! Unfortunately, we live in the midwest and only get to visit the beach on vacation. I am not a fan of adding another pet to our household, so when my daughter started asking for a fish, we made these cute aquariums instead! They’re super simple, totally customizable, and can be made in a jiffy!
What you will need:
Mason jar (any size, but we used these from Walmart: Ball Collection Elite 16 oz Mason Jars, 4 pack
Aquarium plants and or small figurines
Small toy fish
Food coloring (optional)
- Fill the bottom of the jar with aquarium rocks. We used neon because it really popped!
- Add the plant life or aquarium figurine you want in the jar with your fish.
- Add one or two of your fish to the jar.
- Take a large cup and add one drop of green or blue food coloring to the cup. Add water until you get the desired color effect. I added water, and then dumped about half of the cup out, and filled it back up again to get the desired effect I wanted. Just play around with it until you think it looks how you want it to. THe lighter the color, the better ours turned out.
- Fill the jar to the top with the water, and seal the lid tightly. If your kids are young, and you feel like they will try to take the lid off, you can line the seal of the lid with super glue before attaching it to ensure it doesn’t come off.
That’s it! Now you have an adorable aquarium that requires no maintenance! My daughter wants to gather sand and shells from vacation this year to make a new one. I think that would be a fun way to have a vacation souvenir, don’t you?