Play dough is always a favorite amongst kids. But why buy it when you can make it yourself?
The store bought kind can often get expensive, because the containers dry so quickly! I swear, sometimes the play dough containers get left open for an hour, and the play dough is already hardening!
In the past, I always wanted to make my own play dough, but wasn’t sure of the consistency, or how difficult it would be. I found several recipes, but they would never turn out quite like I wanted. This is a recipe that I’ve come up with over the past few years, and I’m in love with it.
It’s super soft, and so quick to make too. I have friends who have used it and said they they have left it out for up to two days at a time and it never dried up! I promise this stuff is so easy to make, you’ll never buy the store bought kind again!
Other fun things to do with your kids:Print
World’s Best Play Dough
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Water
- 2/3 Cup Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- Food Coloring
- Combine all ingredients (other than food coloring) in a large pot.
- Mix well.
- Add about 10 drops of food coloring. Play around with it, depending on the color you want to achieve. Colors like red or yellow will need a few extra drops for a vibrant color.
- Your batter will look lumpy, and that’s okay! It will smooth out on its own, no need to blend.
- Place your pot on the stove burner, on medium high to high heat.
- Stir continuously until the play dough solidifies. Don’t leave any gooey areas.
- Flip the play dough around, until you think it’s all solid – should take a few minutes.
- Remove the play dough from the pot, and set on a plate to cool.
- Once it cools, and you can handle it easily, separate it into about four containers, and seal to keep it fresh.
- This batch should make the equivalent of about four regular size containers of store bought play dough.
For best results, use silicone spatula for all mixing.