This simple dish combines ground beef, rice, and peppers to make a mouthwatering meal. Making stuffed peppers is easy and is a quick weeknight dinner idea.
Stuffed peppers are one of our FAVORITE meals!! They are so easy to make and taste scrumptious! I love that I can make them with ingredients that we usually have on hand!
What I think I like most is that they are healthy. And, you can make these peppers even better by swapping ground beef for ground turkey. We do this all of the time and there is zero difference in the taste.
HOW TO MAKE STUFFED PEPPERS
If you are new to making stuffed peppers, there are a few tips you should know!
They will not stand up in the pan
If you find your peppers will not stand up so you can fill them, there are a few things you can try:
- Slice off the bottom bumps so that it is level (don’t cut off too much as you don’t want to have the filling run out).
- Create an aluminum foil bowl. Shape some foil and set the pepper inside and then place in the pan.
- Use the right pan. I always use an 8×8 Pyrex pan to make these as that pan is a perfect size!
What do I do with the tops?
The tops — or the lids as my kids call them — can be placed on top after cooking if you want to have a more finished style. However, there is no need. You can just toss them.
What if I don’t like rice?
There are many things you can use rather instead of rice. You can try cauliflower rice, corn, mushrooms, more beef, and cheese. The ideas are endless. You may have to try a few different ideas until you find the perfect addition for your stuffed bell peppers.
Find other great dinner ideas on our Entrees page!
Easy Stuffed Peppers with Rice
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Entree
- 4 large green bell peppers (can use red if you prefer)
- 1 lb of ground beef or turkey
- 1 Tbs. chopped onion
- 1 cup of cooked rice (Minute Rice is what I use)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
- 1 – 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut a circle around the top of the pepper and remove it (making a “lid).
- Cut out seeds and membranes.
- Cook in boiling water for 5 – 7 minutes. Drain.
- While peppers are boiling, brown the ground beef (or turkey) until cooked through.
- Add in onion and cook until softened.
- Drain and return to the skillet.
- Mix in 1/4 – 1/3 cup of cheese.
- Add the rice, salt, garlic salt and 1 cup of tomato sauce to the beef. Cook until all is hot.
- Spoon the beef mixture into the peppers.
- Stand upright in a small baking dish (8×8 Pyrex works best – link to one is above).
- Pour the remaining sauce over the tops of the peppers.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 min.
- Uncover and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted.