If you are needing to sell your home, it can seem overwhelming. We sat down with an expert to get some expert tips to help you sell your home!
Of course, you need to do these things in order to sell it at the price you are asking. However, you don’t need to hire professional landscapers or decorators to give your home the “wow” factor it needs!
We asked a realtor for some input and he shared some affordable tricks on things you can do to get your own home ready to sell.
1. Mow the Lawn.This will be one of the first things people see as they drive up, so just keep it mowed regularly. If it’s fall, make sure you rake up any leaves. Simple things go a long way.
2. Wash the windows. This goes such a long way to give people that wow factor when they look at your house. Clean windows allow more light to come into your home.
3. Clear the counters and closets of clutter. You’re going to move anyway, so this is a good time to pack away anything you will not need over the next couple of months.
Look at your kitchen. Pack away the appliances you do not use very often so that your counters are clear. The less stuff you have out, the larger your kitchen will look. A good rule of thumb is this – if you would not put something on your counter on purpose, then put it away.
Go through your closets and pack up the off season clothes. This will make your closets appear bigger. Same goes with the shoes. Make sure you leave space between the clothes and shoe you have left as it will also make that closet appear larger than it is (this one always works).
4. Clean. Cleaning doesn’t cost you anything but time, but will go a LONG way into making your house show better. Keep it swept and vacuumed.
Make sure your front porch and door are cleaned. This is the first thing people will see and as they wait for the door to be unlocked, they will notice many little things.
In your kitchen, make sure your stove is shining without any food or grease splatters. You want it to look brand new.
Always make sure all beds are made, your bathroom mirrors are spot free, remove the cobwebs from the corners and also clean your air filters. You need to clean those areas people will look at, such as corners, where they ware wanting to check for possible leaks and cracks.
5. Replace lightbulbs. Every burned out light bulb needs to be replaced. If you’re living in your house while you’re trying to sell it, make sure to turn on every light in the house when you leave, as a realtor comes to show it. When a potential buyer turns on a light switch, a light needs to come on.
6. Open the blinds/curtains. The more natural light you can let in your house, the better. Open every one of your blinds and curtains for the biggest impact!
7. Hide unsightly items. Specifically your toilet brush, any trash can, plunger, weight scale, catbox etc. Even if you just stick them under the sink or in the garage, just while the house is being shown, it makes a huge difference.
8. Flower pots. Get a couple of brightly colored, inexpensive flower pots filled with vibrant flowers, and place them right by your front door. You can find inexpensive items at Walmart, Lowe’s or even Home Depot. No need to spend much month, you just want to have something welcoming at the front door.
9. Remove some personal photos. Some experts say you should never have any photos of your family on display while trying to sell it and others say a few is acceptable. The trick is to try to remove yourself from the home as much as possible as this will allow others to see themselves living there. If all they see every time the turn around is a photo of your family, they may not feel that it is a place where they would feel comfortable living.
These are a few simple and affordable things you can do to make sure you house looks it’s absolute best. Hopefully, these will help lead you to a quick sale!