If you have been following my site for very long, you know that there are so many coupons that are available on Facebook or from other sites. I have seen comments that people state “Ugh – they want to access my personal information” or “ I didn’t want to download that application.” Well, it is simple to get the coupons you want, but keep your personal information safe – both at the same time! Here are some tips that can keep you safe when getting those coupons:
Keep Your Name Information Minimal.Unless you are a Facebook addict (like me), you may not even HAVE an account. You can set one up and only use minimal data. For example, if your name is Susie Ann Smith, you can set up your Facebook page as S.A. Smith. You don’t have to divulge much information – no picture – no other data (unless you want to). Keep in mind that you may need to provide your mailing information to some companies in order to get the offer – but most just let you print directly from Facebook.
Block Yourself from Searches.This is a good one no matter what your Facebook knowledge. You can keep anyone from finding you on Facebook (although you can find them), by blocking your profile from being made public. The steps to do this are VERY simple:
- Click on Account and then Click on Privacy Settings
- Click on View Settings (under Basic Directory Information)
- Change your settings to be only me, friends – or whatever makes you most comfortable
Then, you can also remove yourself from public searches as well. This is also very simple to do:
- In your account, click on Privacy Settings
- Scroll down towards the bottom of the page and look for applications and websites – edit your settings.
- Scroll down to Public Serach – and make sure this is turned off.
Remove applications after you get your coupon. Many times, you have to download an application in order to access a coupon, but you really don’t WANT the application in your account. It is very simple to remove these.
- Click on Account and then click on Application Settings.
- Go through and click the “X” at the end of the row to remove the application from your page. Doing so will disallow them access to your page or any profile information.
Set up a secondary email account.When you have to fill out a form to register for a coupon on-line, always use a secondary email account – like hotmail.com or gmail.com. You can also normally use only a first intial with your last name, but your mailing address will need to be yours. When they ask for a date of birth, this is usually confirm that you are at least 13 years old, but it can also be so that they can send you something on your birthday. I am an honest person, so I can not tell you not to use your own birthday, that is up to you to fudge on this one or not.
So hopefully you can now access all of the great coupons and offers that are on-line, but still feel safe and confident that your personal information is protected!