WINNER: Jennifer – jenn.1105@xxxxxx
Summer might be winding down, but that doesn’t mean that the BBQs or family fun has to go away with it! It is getting cooler outside, which can make being outdoors even better (I know I like not melting)!!
Chef Aaron McCargo Jr., host of Food Network’s Big Daddy’s House, has teamed up with Family Dollar, to offer more reasons to host a summer gathering, more great grilling ideas, recipes and tips for a great summer picnic. Make sure you download these great recipes – which are free!!!
When planning your outdoor meal, Chef McCargo, Jr has some tips you will want to keep in mind:
- Don’t forget the table weights (even if you have to make them yourself). Pinning old, unused keys on tablecloth corners helps them stay in place in case the wind picks up.
- Leave out markers so guests can write their names on their plastic cups. Spice it up by encouraging them to use fake names, then try to guess whose is whose.
- Put stickers on the bottom of several plastic plates before serving time. Once everyone gets their food, give a prize to the guests who (unknowingly) picked up the stickered dishware.
- Keep the games going. Whether it’s kickball for the kids or cornhole for the grown-ups, nothing keeps a party hoppin’ like a little friendly competition.
- Marinate chicken in Glad® freezer bags several hours before grilling it to lock in the flavor.
- Have a sidewalk chalk drawing contest for the kids. Pick up goodies as prizes from Family Dollar. (Hey, you can even get the chalk there, too!)
- Place mini battery-operated fans on the food tables. The moving air makes it impossible for pesky flies to land.
- Turn meat just once onm the grill. For steaks, turn them when the juices start to bubble on the uncooked side (the clearer the juice, the more well done the meat).
- Apply sauces containing honey, brown sugar or molasses during the last 10 minutes of grilling to prevent the sauce from burning.
- Keep a spray bottle handy so you can spritz grill flare ups, which can blacken your food.
Do you need some inspiration for some party themes? Here are a few ideas from Chef McCargo, Jr:
- Midsummer Nights Dream: An Outdoor PJ Party
- Adults or Kids – who doesn’t love a good PJ party?
- Fire up the grill a little later than usual, as the guests vote for their favorite PJ outfit
- Once it gets dark, settle in for some spooky ghost stories
- Don’t forget to leave the vents on the grill open for toasting marshmallows
- Dog Days of Summer: Bring Your Own Pet
- This time invite the most forgotten party guest of all – the pets!
- Serve a variety of animal-themed treats (puppy chow, anyone?)
- Goodie bags with dog treats are a nice touch
- Just remember to make sure you have the one party supply you might not normally think of – a pooper scooper!
- Use caution in keeping pet outside in hot weather and always make sure they have plenty of water.
- Summer Toga Party
- What’s the coolest thing to wear in the summer? Shorts? A tank top? Wrong – A Toga!
- Roll up invitations in a scroll and use an “ancient” font
- Host a Greek potluck – have everyone bring their favorite Greek dish
- Fill wine glasses with water and put floating candles inside them for a nice touch
Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you get out and have some fun – BEFORE summer is truly over!!
One Reader will receive a summer fun pacakge, including:
SCOTT Paper Towels
GLAD Plastic Bags
Colored Chalk Tote
Entry is simple — just leave a comment answering the question. Note: All comments must be left HERE on the blog. Comments left via Facebook, Google+ or Twitter will not be included.
1. Do you do anything special to mark the end of summer?
This contest will be open until August 16th at 11:59 p.m. CST. The winner will be chosen at random and contacted via email. Said winner will have 48 hours in which to provide me with their mailing address so that the prize can be forwarded to them. GOODLUCK!!!
Penny Pinchin’ Mom received the same prize package in exchange for hosting this giveaway. All opinions contained within this post are her own and were not influenced by any other parties. Be entering this giveaway/sweepstakes, you are attesting that you have read and can comply with the Giveaway Terms & Conditions.