We are moving closer to holiday shopping. One thing many merchants offer in order to get your business is price matching. However, most of them make changes to these policies during the busiest shopping week of the year (Black Week).
It is important to understand all of these policies at your favorite retailers to help you get the most of your money!
Target always offers price matching. They have made a few changes over the holidays, to help you (hopefully) shop more with them!
- The original Target receipt must be brought in when requesting the price match by Dec. 24.
- The item must be the identical item, brand name, size, weight, color, quantity and model number.
- Limit of one competitor online price match per identical item, per guest.
- For matching Target.com, the retail price must be shown on the Target.com website and must be valid at the time the price match is requested. Target.com pricing must be validated by a Target team member.
- For matching competitor ads, the retail price must be shown in the competitor’s advertisement and must be valid the day the price match is requested.
- For matching online competitors, the retail price must be shown on your mobile device or by bringing in a printed page showing the current price. Online competitor pricing must be validated by a Target team member.
- Competitor catalogs can be matched as long as the catalog displays a current date and retail price, and meets all other competitor ad match qualifications.
- We reserve the right to verify a competitor’s advertised price and the availability of the item.
- Competitor online items must be in stock at the time price match is requested.
Extended Holiday Price Match Guarantee
- We’ll match the price if you buy a qualifying item at Target between Tuesday, November 1, 2016 and Saturday, December 24, 2016 and find the identical item for less in the Target circular, Target.com, select online competitors, or in a competitor’s local printed ad.
- Price matches and adjustments will not be allowed for prices from Thanksgiving Day through the end of the following week (Thursday, November 24, 2016 – Saturday, December 3, 2016), whether offered by Target or a competitor.
Walmart has been changing the price matching policies. While some stores will continue to honor price matching, some will not. Therefore, it is best to visit with your local store manager prior to shopping to know what the policy is.
When it comes to Walmart.com, they will price match, but there are things to keep in mind:
- Prior to placing your order, contact Walmart.com Customer Care or call us at 1.800.966.6546. They will verify the item eligibility by reviewing the online retailer, their current price, and by confirming the item is in stock.
- They will price match select online retailers (as listed here)
- Items are price matched as long as the same item and size is in stock at your store AND online at the time of your request.
- Item must be fulfilled by the online retailer (no third party sales).
- You are limited to one-per-customer, per day.
- They will not match any promotional offers, such as free gift card with purchase, instant rebates, bundle offers, mail-in-offer or any offers that include finances.
- They will not match percent off of the price if the price can not be verified.
- Items that require minimum purchases.
- They will not match any price that is the result of an auction or requires a paid membership.
- Closeouts, clearance, liquidation, special hour/flash/limited quantity offers will not be eligible for pric matching.
This holiday season, Best Buy will match online retailers as well. Here are some key things to keep in mind:
- The item must be identical at the competitor’s store. That means same brand, model and color, in order to qualify.
- They will match local retailer prices (including online pricing).
- Online retailers which are matched include Amazon, BH Photo Video, Chrutchfield, Dell, HP, New Egg and Tiger Direct.
- Price matching excludes contract mobile phones sold by online retailers, competitor’s service prices, special daily or hourly sales and items for sale on Thanksgiving Day through the following Monday (November 30th).
- Read more at BestBuy.com.
TOYS R US / BABIES R US
Another store getting in on the Price Matching game is Toys R Us / Babies R Us. Here are the holiday price matching details:
- They must be identical to the items advertised – brand, size, style and function. The only variance accepted is color.
- You must have the original competitor ad, with valid dates. This much be provided at the time of purchase. If matching on-line pricing, must be able to view the site at the time of checkout.
- Price matching will be granted at the time of purchase or up to 7 days of the purchase date (with a valid receipt)
- If purchasing multiple items, price matching will be limited to two items only.
- Price matching is deducted after coupons and other offers.
- They will match their own on-line pricing as well as select online retailers (see full list here).
- They will not match during the week of Black Friday from Sunday, Nov. 21st through Monday, November 29th.
- Head HERE to read all of the exclusions.
The one store that usually surprises people when it comes to price matching is Kohl’s. Here are the holiday price matching details:
- They will not match either Kohls.com or any other on-line prices.
- They will match competitor in-store prices, as seen in the print ad.
- You can not use coupons or promotional offers when price matching, however, you can earn Kohl’s Cash and Yes 2 You Rewards.
- Many items are excluded from price matching. See the entire list here.
- Price matching is suspended from Thanksgiving through the Monday following Thanksgiving.
Did you know that JCPenney will match prices as well? Here is what you need to know:
- JCP will meet and beat all competitor prices by 5%.
- Price matching works on both their own in-store and on-line prices.
- They will match both competitor in-store and on-line prices.
- You can match the prices within 14 days after your purchase (if the price happens to drop after you buy).
- They will not honor marketplace, auctions or third party sellers. This means the item must be fulfilled by the site (i.e Amazon must be the supplier and not a third party service).
- They have no blackout dates and price match 365 days a year – even Black Friday!
- Read more at JCP.com.
OFFICE DEPOT / OFFICE MAX
In addition to the above, Office Depot / Office Max also offers price matching! Make sure you read their rules:
- They will match both on-line and in-store competitor prices.
- On-line products must be sold and shipped by retailer and not a marketplace nor third party vendor.
- Items must have the same model number, features, and warranty which ware in stock and available at the time of purchase.
- They will apply any discounts, coupons and instant savings to the price first and then, if still higher, price match.
- Mail-in-rebate and gift card with purchase offers are not matched.
- Proof of the matching product can be a physical add or on-line promotion.
- Matching is allowed on any item within 14 days of purchase.
- They will not match holiday sales offers including Black Friday and Cyber Monday (which includes their own online pricing).
Not to be out done by the above, you can also price match products at Staples. Here are the things you need to know:
- They will not only match a competitor’s price, but they will beat it by 10%.
- If you find a lower price within 14 days of purchase, they will refund the difference.
- They match both in-store and on-line prices for products which are the same brand. This includes Amazon and Wayfair, but the items must be sold by those retailers (no marketplace or third party vendors).
- Item must be the same model number and have the same components.
- Product must be in stock and available for purchase from the competitor.
- Price matching is not permitted during special events. This includes Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.
- Read the entire policy for more information.