Chicken Pot Pie for the Soul
Marie Callender’s Chicken Pot Pies have been an American staple forever. But did you know that making your own Chicken Pot Pie from scratch is really not that hard and tastes 100 times better?!?! I promise you that anyone can make this recipe. It’s super easy and once you try a homemade pot pie from scratch you will never want a Marie Callender’s frozen pot pie again
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie for the Soul Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Category: Entree
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut, diced or shredded (whichever you prefer)
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 TBSP flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3-4 TBSP butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 tsp or 1/2 cube bouillon (optional)
- Pre-made Pie Crust (or homemade crust if you prefer)
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Saute onions, celery and carrots in olive oil or butter. Once veggies are nearly fully cooked (about 4 minutes) add butter to mixture.
- Once butter is fully melted in the veggie mixture, add flour 1 tablespoon at a time to make a rue – which should look like a thick paste.
- Slowing mix in milk to the rue. Using a whisk, continue mixing while the mixture creates a gravy like texture.
- Add in frozen peas, chopped chicken, seasoning salt, garlic powder, salt and pepper all to taste. If the pie filling needs more flavor you may want to add a little more garlic powder or a little bit of powdered/paste bouillon.
- Pour mixture into a pie plate.
- Cover mixture with a pie crust either homemade or pre-made).
- Poke holes in the shape of a design or draw a design with your knife in the pie crust. I like to create “pie slices” at this time, so when it is finished, it is easy to cut.
- Cook for 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.