Chicken pot pie is delicious. But, there is nothing quite like homemade chicken pot pie. This recipe is easy to make any night of the week.
Comfort food is best served when it’s cool outside. As the temperatures drop, I find myself reaching for those comfort food recipes more often. This homemade chicken pot pie recipe doesn’t ever disappoint, and it’s a favorite around our house!
I always serve homemade chicken pot pie with homemade mashed potatoes, but you could serve it alone too! This is also great reheated the next day too. I love that this recipe uses a store-bought crust, so I don’t have to worry about making the dough too. This recipe comes together pretty quickly, so it’s perfect for a weeknight meal.
Other recipes to warm you up include:Print
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Entree
- 2-Pack of Refrigerated Pie Crust
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen
- 1 cup baby carrots, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375
- In a large skillet, combine the peas, carrots, onions, garlic, and butter and cook on medium/high heat until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the chicken stock and heavy cream and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and continue cooking and stirring until the mixture has thickened to a chowder-like consistency.
- Add the chicken and stir to combine.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place one of the pie crusts into a deep dish 9″ pie pan.
- Pour in the pot pie mixture and spread it evenly.
- Top the pie pan with the second crust, and trim any excess pie crust from the edges.
- Use a knife to pierce the top of the pie crust to allow any excess moisture to escape.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow the pie to cook for 10 minutes before serving.