A clean home. It is something we all want, but not all of us are good at doing. I keep a very clean home and am actually going to share my secrets with you today!!!
First and foremost, I will admit that I do not do a very deep cleaning every single week. I am a busy mom so I just don’t have time to do that. What I do is take the time to clean my bathrooms, dust, vacuum, sweep and mop as necessary. That’s all I do.
Secondly, this is done in this time frame because our house is always picked up. There is not clutter sitting around. There are not dishes to be done. This also does not include my laundry. In just 2 hours (or less) I can clean our entire 2 story home.
Other helpful cleaning tips:
- Keeping Your House Clean Enough
- How the One Touch Rule Keeps Clutter Away
- Ten Tips to Keep Your House Clean (Even When You Are Busy)
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR HOME
Here’s how I do it – are you ready? Before you go any further, you might want to download my helpful house cleaning checklist! This can help you as you move from room to room to make sure you cover all of your bases. Sometimes, I find that it is not that you are not cleaning well, it is a more of a matter of knowing where to start!
I begin upstairs. My kids each have to clean their own rooms from dusting to stripping the sheets and even running the vacuum. They each have three additional chores they must do to help me. These include dusting, vacuuming and cleaning bathrooms.
While the kids start on their rooms, I go to mine and start by stripping my bed. Then, I dust my room and vacuum it.
After that is done, I move onto the bathroom. To start, I fill the sink with warm water and cleanser. I wipe down the vanity and mirror. Then, I move onto the tub/shower. Once that is clean, I wash the floor. The final area I clean is the toilet (as it is the most disgusting).
I end my cleaning by doing the same process in my own bathroom – minus the shower. I do that when I am done cleaning my entire house and clean it and immediately take my shower afterwards.
All in all, it takes us around 45 minutes — sometimes closer to an hour – to get all of them cleaned.
Once that floor has been cleaned, I move to our main floor which has a family room, office, kitchen and 1/2 bathroom. Once again, I follow the same routine and move from room to room.
I always leave my kitchen for last. That room is my ‘catch-all’ for anything I find as I clean. I put it there and then put everything away at once. So, if I have to take something upstairs, I am making just one trip up the steps and not one for each room I happen to clean!
The last area we clean is the basement. This is easy to clean as there is only a half bath and living space. It takes us around 20 minutes (sometimes less) to clean.
My trick? Well, I have a few of them I follow. I’ve done these for years and have never had my housework take me hours on end. Here are my best tips:
- Pick up your house every night before bed to keep clutter at bay and spend less time cleaning up each week.
- Make sure you clean your house each week (or at least every other week). Otherwise, it will take longer.
- Keep your cleansers in one location so you can find them easily when you get ready to clean.
- Make sure you get your kids’ involved. They will never learn how to clean their own homes if you don’t teach them.
- Clean the kids’ area first so they can get toys out and play. This will give them a play space while you are cleaning.
- There is no such thing as a perfectly cleaned house – so don’t sweat it if yours is not.
There you go! The simple way to clean your home in 2 hours — or less — every week!