Who wouldn’t love to score a discounted newspaper subscription? After all, you save on everything else, why not your daily news?
If you love to read your newspaper, you know it can be expensive. However, it doesn’t have to be! You can get access to the articles, ads — and even coupons — without paying full price! Here are my TEN BEST KEPT SECRETS for saving on your newspaper subscription.
1. Sign up for an introductory offer. Many times, if you have not subscribed to the newspaper (or it has been a while since you previously subscribed), you might be given a discount. It never hurts to call your paper and see if they have such a deal currently available. Make sure you also confirm the requirements to be eligible (i.e. if you previously subscribed, do you have to wait for at least 6 months being eligible for a new rate?).
2. Follow local daily deal sites. Sometimes, sites such as GroupOn, offer local deals where they discount the subscriptions deeply. You will need to read the fine print on these as they sometimes are only offered to new customers.\
3. See if your local newspaper offers a “Sunday Bonus” paper. I live in a suburb of Kansas City. That means we have a local newspaper which covers our area more in depth than the Kansas City Star. Our local paper is circulated once per week. As an added bonus, we receive a FREE Kansas City Star every single Sunday!
I know many newspapers around Kansas City offer this same service, so contact your local newspaper to see if they are included. For those of you who do not live in Kansas City, you might want to check in your community as well for such an offer.
4. Ask for a better deal. If you are an existing customer who has been subscribing for a period of time, call and ask if you can get a better rate. Sometimes, the simple act of canceling a subscription can get you a great discount!
5. Extend your subscription. Many times, when you pay for 52 weeks of delivery rather than 13, you will get a discount on your rate. Sometimes, this discount can be as much as 15 – 20%, depending upon where you reside.
6. Change Your Subscription. Sometimes, if you change the frequency of receiving the newspaper, you can save money. After all, if you really only read the paper once a week, you are paying for days that you where your paper goes right into the recycling bin.
7. Share with a neighbor. If you only subscribe to get the coupons, but your neighbor doesn’t want them, why not split the cost? You both get the sections that work for you and find a great way to save money!
8. Check out the app or go on-line. This may sound odd, but sometimes, the newspaper can be read for free via the app, whereas if you log in online you can not! Even if it is not the entire paper, it may be the most popular articles, which allows you to read them — for free!
In addition, sometimes, if you opt for an on-line version of the paper you can get it for less than the cost of the delivery service. The reason is reduced overhead, which allows them to offer it to you at a discount.
9. Visit the library. You can often times find the newspaper at your local library, where you can read it for free! This is a great way to get This may sound odd, but sometimes, the newspaper can be read for free via the app, whereas if you log in online you can not! Even if it is not the entire paper, it may be the most popular articles, which allows you to read them — for free!
9. Use a Discounted Service. Don’t contact your supplier locally, but use a discounted service instead, such as Discounted Newspapers. You can find deals on newspapers all over the country, which might be the perfect saving solution!