If you’ve ever received “The Blue Screen of Death” on your computer before, you may already know the stress of losing data. I actually had 2 hard drives crash within 4 weeks of one another – yes 2!! Of course, I was not very wise and didn’t back up my data before the first one crashed. I was working on trying to find an external hard drive when it crashed for a second time.
I was lucky that some of my emails addresses were saved in another location, so I didn’t lose all of my contacts. I also was also extremely lucky that my personal photos were saved on another computer in the house. However, I did end up losing several documents, files and images. THAT was extremely stressful.
So, at that very moment, I decided that this would NOT happen to my family again. I started to do some research and decided to go ahead and purchase an on-line backup system rather than my own external. While I know the cost is less expensive to just purchase the hard drive, I feared my house being destroyed and my losing what mattered most to me – the photos of my family.
Of course, I do take the time to back up my photos onto CD. I even make 2 copies. I keep one at home, but I also place one in our bank safety deposit box. That way, if something happened to my home, I would not lose those priceless treasures. Not only do I have my photos on my CD, I put copies of our important documents on it as well. If we lost everything, this could save us valuable time in procuring documents and things we would need to put our life back together. You can’t even place a price on that.
OK, so back to my back up issues. I did a lot of research as to which company I wanted to use for our backup. After much reading, we decided to go with Mozy. The reasons were simple:
- Cost: It was very affordable ($55 a year) + we received a discount for each additional computer we added
- Simplicity: It took me only a few minutes to download the software and get it set up and running
- Self Operation: What I loved most is that this will back up when my computer is idle – and will not try to do it while I am working. I can just go to bed and by the time I wake up every morning, all of my files have been backed up.
- Ease of restoring data: While I have not had to do this yet (thankfully), the steps to restore your data appear very easy to follow.
- Backup guaranteed: Your hard drive may fail if you have a power outage or it may become corrupt. This company has several backup servers so that if one fails, another can step up to complete the backup.
If you are not backing up your data right now, you really should consider doing so. If you are considering an on-line service, I’d personally recommend Mozy. The cost is a low as $5.99/month – plu you get a free month when you sign up for one year and three free months when you sign up for two.
However, in true Penny Pinchin’ Fashion – I’ve got a discount code! Use the code FEBRUARY between now and February 28th and you will save 10% off of your annual plan at Mozy. What I love even more than that is that you can 2GB for FREE, so you can try it out and make sure it works for you before you spend any money on it. Whatever you decide to do – just make sure that you are backing up your data.