This Minecraft Trifle was a HUGE hit with my kids! They absolutely loved it and thought that they had such a cool mom!
What do you do when you accidentally tint your white cake batter the wrong color? Why, you turn it it into something fun! I was trying to make a blue cake and inadvertently grabbed the green gel. As soon as the gel dropped, I knew I was in trouble. However, instead of turning it into something awful, I made it something fun!
Having kids who are HUGE Minecraft fans, I decided to make the dessert into a Minecraft Trifle! This is a super simple dessert that anyone can make. I added a few Minecraft accessories from the toy bin to decorate them! My kids gobbled them down — while they had a smile on their faces!
White Cake Mix
Green food coloring (recommend gel)
Black food color (recommend gel)
Minecraft accessories (optional)
Green and Black Sprinkles (optional)
To start, make your white cake according to the package instructions. After it is mixed, add in the green food coloring to tint it. Mix until well blended.
Next, spray a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with non-stick spray. Pour in the cake batter and bake at 350 for around 30 minutes. I would recommend that you start to watch it at about 20 – 25 minutes, so you do not over bake it (test with a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean). Allow it to cool for at least 20 – 30 minutes.
While your cake is cooling, you will want to make your whipped topping. While you can just leave it white, my kids love colored foods, so I tinted mine and made it grey, so it was more “Minecrafty” (as my 11 year old described it). Add black food coloring to your whipped topping and stir until blended.
Once cooled, use a pizza cutter and make cut into 1″ strips both horizontally and vertically. This will be the cake layers you will want to place in your jar.
Place 3 – 4 layers of cake in the bottom of your jar. Add a scoop of whipped topping. Repeat with 2 – 3 more layers, adding a larger amount of whipped topping at the very top. Add sprinkles and embellish with Minecraft weapons and/or characters for more fun!
You can follow this same idea for any occasion. Tint your cake blue for July 4th, leave the whipped topping white for St. Patrick’s Day….the ideas are endless!!!
- White Cake Mix (and ingredients to make it)
- Cookie Sheet/Jelly Roll Pan
- Green Food Coloring (recommend gel)
- Whipped Topping
- Black Food Coloring (recommend gel)
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Make white cake according to package instructions.
- When cake is mixed, add in green food coloring and blend well.
- Spray cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with non-stick spray.
- Pour green batter into the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes (check for doneness with tooth pick).
- Add black food coloring to whipped topping.
- Blend well.
- Once cake has cooled, cut into 1" squares.
- Place 3 - 4 pieces of cake in the bottom of the jar.
- Add scoop of whipped topping.
- Next, ddd more cake and whipped topping, making 2 - 3 total layers.
- Place one final layer of whipped topping on the very top.
- Add sprinkles or garnishments.