These days, many kids love all things Minecraft. Even my son had a Minecraft party and bedroom! I was able to turn a simple mistake into a fun Minecraft dessert. My kids thought it was amazing and I won some serious cool mom points!
What do you do when you accidentally tint your white cake batter the wrong color? Why you turn it into something fun! I was trying to make a blue cake and inadvertently grabbed the green gel. As soon as the gel dropped, I knew I was in trouble. However, instead of turning it into something awful, I made it something fun!
Having kids who are HUGE Minecraft fans, I decided to make the dessert into a Minecraft Trifle! This is a super simple dessert that anyone can make. I added a few Minecraft accessories from the toy bin to decorate them! My kids gobbled them down — while they had a smile on their faces!
HOW TO MAKE A MINECRAFT TRIFLE
White Cake Mix
Green food coloring (recommend gel)
Black food color (recommend gel)
Minecraft accessories (optional)
Green and Black Sprinkles (optional)
To start, mix your cake according to package instructions. Before you add it your pan, tint it with green food coloring. Mix until well blended.
Next, spray a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with non-stick spray. Pour in the cake batter and bake at 350 for around 30 minutes. I would check it at about 20 minutes to ensure you don’t overbake it. Your toothick should come out clean. Allow to cool for 30 minutes.
While your cake is cooling, you will want to make your whipped topping. You can leave it white if you would like. However, my kids love colored foods, so I tinted mine so it was grey. My kids thought that made it look more “Minecrafty.” To get grey topping, add a few drops of black food coloring and stir until blended.
Once cooled, use a pizza cutter and make cut the cake into 1″ strips both horizontally and vertically.
Place 3 – 4 layers of cake in the bottom of your jar. Add a scoop of whipped topping. Repeat with 2 – 3 more layers, adding a larger amount of whipped topping at the very top. Add sprinkles and embellish with Minecraft weapons and/or characters for more fun!
You can follow this same idea for any occasion. Tint your cake blue for July 4th, leave the whipped topping white for St. Patrick’s Day….the ideas are endless!!!Print
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Category: Minecraft Trifle
- Cuisine: Dessert
- White Cake Mix (and ingredients to make it)
- Cookie Sheet/Jelly Roll Pan
- Green Food Coloring (recommend gel)
- Whipped Topping
- Black Food Coloring (recommend gel)
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Make white cake according to package instructions.
- When cake is mixed, add green food coloring and blend well.
- Spray a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with non-stick spray.
- Pour green batter into the pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes (check for doneness with toothpick).
- Add black food coloring to whipped topping.
- Blend well.
- Once the cake has cooled, cut into 1″ squares.
- Place 3 – 4 pieces of cake in the bottom of the jar.
- Add a scoop of whipped topping.
- Next, add more cake and whipped topping, making 2 – 3 total layers.
- Place one final layer of whipped topping on the very top.
- Add sprinkles or garnishments.