With everything available via cloud and digital methods anymore, many of us no longer need (or use) paper phone books. You might find that the one dropped on your doorstep does not even get opened. Not even once. So what do you do? Recycle or trash it – right? What if you could avoid having to get one completely?
There is a consumer opt-out site where you can actually submit your information and you will NOT get one of these delivered to your door. It is a great way to prevent so many trees from being destroyed when you won’t even use the book anyhow.
Follow these steps to opt-out:
- Visit YellowPagesOptOut.com.
- Enter your zip code on the main screen.
- Next you will see the various directories which you can opt out of receiving (there were FIVE of them in my area).
- You will need to register – so click the blue Register Now button and follow the steps.
- Pop over to your inbox and check for your email to activate your account.
- Once you click the link, you will go back to the site. Your login is valid only for 24 hours, so make sure you follow through right away, or you will need register again.
- Once you confirm you will see your information. Make sure it is correct and if not, make changes.
- Next, you can opt out of your directories:
- Next, adjust the quantity of the number of books you want to receive (for each one listed). Change to none if you do not want to receive any at all. Or you can click the Opt out of All button at the bottom of the page to update them all automatically.
- Save your changes.
- Finally, confirm that you want to opt out (and you can even opt out for future publications). Now, you won’t get any more books delivered!
Once you opt out of the phone book deliver, you might want to also stop the catalogs from arriving too! These also cost a lot of money for retailers to send out and if you just toss them into recycling, then it is just money (and trees) wasted.
Visit CatalogChoice and you can opt out of deliveries of varies publications. It is also simple to get started.
- Visit CatalogChoice.com.
- Click the green SIGN UP NOW button to join.
- You can connect with Facebook or enter the information requested.
- Enter your address. You can enter more than one (so if you have a PO Box and a home address or an office you want to include, you can do it under one account).
- After you sign up, click over to your email account and watch your inbox for an activation notice.
Click the link in the email to confirm your account.
- Next, click the Find Companies button. Go through the list and find those that you receive and do not want to no longer receive.
- You will want to have the catalog handy so that you can enter account and other information as may be on the mailing label. This will help them identify your account so that they can cancel the mailing.
- Repeat this for all publications you receive.
This is a permanent login, so each time you get a new catalog in the mail, you can simply sign into your account and add that one to the list and they will stop sending them to you.
You can also do this with other companies as well such as credit card, cable and more! What a great way to stop all of that junk mail from filling up your mail box and recycling bins!