When most people think of Pinterest, the first thing that comes to mind food — or DIY. However, did you know you can use Pinterest to save money?
There is so much great information available on Pinterest to help you save money, budget and even get out of debt. The trick is to figure out how to make it really work for you. I’ve got FIVE amazing tips to help you save money by using Pinterest.
1. Clothes. With the ever changing trends, it can often lead to thinking the items you have in your closet no longer work. That may very well NOT be the case at all.
You can search Pinterest to find the latest trends, which often will show you how to pair some of the basics you have in your closet with one or two new accessories.
The way to make it work is to complete a search for the item you have on hand. For instance, I have a red denim jacket, so I did a search for this. I found an adorable outfit which included a red jacket, black and white skirt and a tee.
I went to may closet and found a black tee, black and white maxi shirt, silver necklace and some red flats. My outfit was not 100% what I found, but it gave me the inspiration I needed in order to put together a new look. Best of all – it cost me absolutely NOTHING to do!!
2. Artwork. When it is time to update the walls, it can quickly become expensive. One simple search on Pinterest and you can find all sorts of ideas — many of which may cost you little to nothing.
One idea is to search for a gallery wall. There are many amazing ideas right there, with the layout and even template ideas to make your own. You can use the frames you already have on hand and then get prints made at your local drug store (for little to nothing if you time it right). You can transform a blank, boring wall into something amazing and may spend little to nothing doing so.
You can also often find free printables! Some websites just require you sign up for a weekly newsletter and as a thank you, they will give you a cute printable you can download. Search for the type of saying or color of printable you want and you can quickly create an entire wall of artwork – at almost no cost to you at all!
3. Remodeling. If you can’t afford to hire a decorator or even many experts to help you update your home, you are not alone. You can find tutorials and even videos to help you update your own space.
Of course, if you need to complete an update which is outside of your comfort zone, make sure you hire a professional (as it could cost you more if you try something yourself and cause a lot of damage).
4. Budgeting tips. One of the easiest ways to use Pinterest to save money is by finding a budget! You are an individual. That means that the budget you use may not work for someone else. Finding the right budget could not be any easier!
Search for BUDGETS on Pinterest and you will instantly see hundreds (and even thousands) of great helpful articles to help you create the budget that works for you. Some will include the apps which work, others provide printable forms. There are still others which just explain the different type of budget (50/20/30, irregular or basic) — all to help you really find the one which works best for you.
5. Cost effective meal ideas. I am not a chef. I do not pretend to be one. I have 3 kids who are very picky eaters. That means I need to find meals which are not only affordable, but will work for their picky tastes.
One idea is to search easy dinner ideas or even cheap meals. You will see the results return a treasure trove of amazing meals – which have actually been created by the people who post them! I prefer blogger recipes because I know they have been tried out vs. those I see in a book and I am not sure what people think.
Take a moment to read any comments on the recipe or even the number of pins or shares. This can be telling as if it has a lot of shares, then it is probably one that really would taste good and you might want to try! Recipes on Pinterest are such a simple way to save money!
6. Entertainment. If you are not sure what to do with the family, you can search Pinterest for all sorts of fun — and often free — ideas! I’ve found new games, crafts or even ideas for adventures.
Even if you don’t want to go that direction, you can find lists of places where kids eat free, birthday freebies, senior discounts and more! All available for you to look through to find the one that works for you.
You can even search for affordable date night ideas! What better way to spend a night with your sweetie – than one which is free (or at least pretty frugal).
7. Fitness. It is important to take care of yourself. However, if you are bored with the same fitness routine, you might feel you need to join a gym. Not so fast!
Do a search on Pinterest for new exercise routines and ideas. You can find fun ways to mix up your work out — which will cost you absolutely nothing! You might find one stomach focused routine for Monday, a weights work out for Wednesday and a way to get outside and walk on Friday.
Don’t pay for a membership or any online service for work out ideas when you can use Pinterest to save money!
8. Cleaning products. This is one which I personally love! I hate cleaning with chemicals. YUCK! You can find hundreds of homemade and/or natural cleaning ideas right on Pinterest. Many are made with the items you have on hand or may even include a unique way to clean which requires no chemicals at all! Check out my Natural Cleaning Products board to get started.
9. Organizing ideas. Forget buying all of the boxes, bins and fancy organizing items which you find in the store. Pinterest is filled with ideas for reusing or even upcycling items around the home to get you completely organized. There are tips such as using soda boxes to store soup cans or even toilet paper tubes for your electrical cords. The ideas are truly endless.
You can even find checklists and tips to help you organize any space in your home. All of this is free for you to use!
Our Organizing Tips & Hacks board is filled with a lot of great ideas you might want to try yourself.
10. Saving Time. While I figure I spend my time wisely, there are always ways I can be more efficient. I love searching for hacks to help make my life simpler. When it comes to saving, make sure you don’t forget that your time has value too!
What other ways do you use Pinterest to help save YOU money?