My kids love Rice Krispie treats. They especially love it when I make these adorable and fun Pumpkin Rice Krispie treats each fall. They look like mini pumpkins with all the flavor of a traditional Krispie treat. Best of all, they are easy to make!
Now, before we get going with the recipe, I am going to let you in on a secret as to how to NOT get your hands so sticky when rolling these into little balls.
THE SECRET TO ROLLING PERFECT KRISPIE TREAT PUMPKINS
First, remove your jewelry (such as rings) and make sure your hands are clean. Then, get your non-stick cooking spray or vegetable oil and spray or rub it all over your hands. Make sure you cover the palms, between your fingers and backs of your hands. Now, when you grab your treats to shape them, they will be much less likely to stick to your skin, which makes it easier to roll and shape. You will need to recoat them between each treat but this simple tip makes them easier to handle.
HOW TO MAKE HALLOWEEN RICE KRISPIE PUMPKINS
Now, let’s talk about these adorable pumpkin Rice Krispie treats! If you really want a nice vibrant orange color (like mine), don’t use the liquid food coloring drops. Skip those and use gel coloring from Wilton. Trust me, you can never go wrong with their dyes because the colors are much more vibrant.
The idea is pretty simple. You will start by making a basic Krispie treat — the exact same recipe you’ve used all along. But, you will add food coloring to the melted marshmallows and butter before you add in the cereal. Add the coloring a little a time until you get the orange tint you are going for. Then, mix in the cereal until it is all coated. Then, go to town rolling them into small balls.
I’ve seen people use Rolo candies for the stems before, but I don’t think those look nearly as authentic. I purchased Tootsie Roll minis to make my stems. To make them curve slightly (just like real pumpkins do), hold each one in your hand for around 3 – 5 seconds to warm them. Then, you can add the curve you want and then put them into the center of the pumpkin.
The last thing to add is the leaves. Again, I never liked the look of the M&M candy, so I bought Fruit Rollups that had green on them. I used a knife and cut small leaf shapes and then added them to the tops. You can, of course, use M&Ms for the leaf if you want. Either way still makes for an adorable Rice Krispie pumpkin.
There are other fun Halloween treats you can make such as Rice Krispie Ghosts, Spiderweb Pretzels, and Edible Eyeballs. They make the perfect pairing for your upcoming Halloween party — and the kids will love them!Print
Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats
These adorable little Rice Krispie Treat pumpkins are easy to make and the perfect dessert for any Halloween party.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Category: Dessert
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Red & Yellow Food Coloring Drops OR Orange Food Coloring Gel
- 5 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows
- 6 cups of rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
- Mini Tootsie Rolls
- Fruit Rollups (find the variety with green stripes)
- Melt butter in a large pan.
- Add in vanilla extract and marshmallows.
- Mix until melted and well blended. Add in food coloring (use your own judgment until you achieve the correct level of orange you want).
- Add in the cereal and mix well, making sure to coat all with the mixture so that it is all orange.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly (but not too much or it will harden and set up).
- Spray your hands with cooking spray (to avoid the sticky mess).
- Form mixture into balls.
- Open the tootsie roll and warm slightly in your hand so you can bend it, to make it look more like a stem. Stick onto the top of your pumpkin (you may want to make a slight indentation in the top of the pumpkin to make the tootsie roll stick in properly).
- Cut small green strips from the fruit roll-up and place on the top of the pumpkin (this is optional and is not needed).
- Allow to set up and then put into an airtight container.
- Serve to your own little pumpkins and watch their faces light up!!
The recipe works best when cooked on the stove rather than using the microwave.
Keywords: Halloween rice krispie treats, rice krispie pumpkins, pumpkin rice krispie, rice krispie treat ideas