What says summer more than ice cream? What could make it even better? Skittles? Find out how I was able to create no-churn Skittles Ice Cream!
My three kids love getting into the kitchen with me to make fun treats. They enjoy it when we just figure out a way to make something completely new. It is like our own fun science experiment. That was the case this month when I teamed up with Skittles® and SocialStars™ to see what we could create with their America Mix as part of their #SkittlesAmericaMix campaign.
We usually have friends over for July 4th. We all bring our favorite foods with us and eat all night long while enjoying the fireworks in our neighborhood. Our evening is capped off with ice cream. That’s been what we’ve done for years. I usually stick with the basic vanilla with red, white and blue sprinkles. B-ORING! I wanted to do something different.
I learned that I could find Skittles® had an America Mix, 14 oz bags at my local Dollar General store. That is when it hit me – maybe I should create a fun dessert where we could use these. My oldest asked me if there was a way that we could ever make ice cream and I though that was so smart!!
I had to look at my own recipes to see if there was a way for me to do this. After a bit of research and thinking, I was able to come up with a simple recipe. Next was to give it a try in the kitchen.
Other fun summer recipes:
First, we whipped up our heavy cream. It is important that you allow it to peak before you add any other ingredients to the mixture. Then, fold in your sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. You want it to be nice and creamy.
While that was mixing, we melted the Skittles® (with a little water) on the stove. It is important to allow it to all dissolve completely.
Once melted, blend this in with the ice cream base. Use your mixer so that it is very well blended. It may look a little runny, but it will set once frozen.
Pour into a metal pan (I used a pie pan as that is all I had handy and it worked great).
Allow to set in your freezer for at least 4 hours. Then scoop, top with moreSkittles® (if you wish) and enjoy!
My kids all thought it was pretty good, but it was a favorite of my 7 year old. She asked me for a bowl every single day until it was all gone!
Here is the simple recipe so that you can make this too!Print
No-Churn Skittles Ice Cream
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 mins
- Category: Dessert
- 1 14-oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups of heavy cream (chilled)
- Skittles Candies
- Metal pan (I used a cake pan, but a loaf pan will work too)
- Blend the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Whip the cream on medium-high until firm peaks form (around 2 minutes).
- Fold in around 1 cup of the whipped cream into the milk mixture, until combined.
- Then, fold that mixture back into the rest of the whipped cream. Fold and mix until well blended.
- Put aside while you make the Skittles blend.
- Determine the Skittles flavor you want; since all of ours were various berries, we did not split. But, you would want to do this if you used the traditional flavors.
- Add around 1 1/2 – 2 cups of skittles into a pan; Add in about 1/2 cup of water.
- Turn up the heat to medium and stir until all Skittles have melted and are blended (if mixture becomes too thick, add a bit more water to thin it).
- Slowly add the Skittles mixture to your ice cream base. Fold it in and mix until well blended (I used my mixer so that it was blended thoroughly, but you can do so by hand).
- Pour into metal pan and place in the freezer.
- Allow to freeze for up to 4 hours (may take less than that).
- Serve with more Skittles on top!