Candied popcorn is a fun, sweet treat the both kids and adults enjoy. It may seem difficult to make, but it isn’t. In fact, we found a way to do this with Skittles! Read on to find out how to make candy popcorn — that tastes just like Skittles candy!!
I’m sharing #Skittles in my life as part of a Skittles® and Dollar General sponsored series for Socialstars™
I don’t know if you knew it or not, but Skittles is not just a sweet treat. I did not know that they had a sour variety (and as I type this, I am feeling that twinge you get in the back of your taste buds when you eat something sour – and I love it)!!
I am actually a sucker for things that are sour. The way you find this on Skittles® is on the outer shell. It is coated with a sour sugary mixture and the minute it hits your tongue, your taste buds wake up and start to dance! Of course, not everyone in my family is into many things sour, so I wanted to find a treat that we would both enjoy.
Other fun candy ideas:
I walked around the kitchen and opened the pantry. At about that same time, my youngest asked me if she could have microwave popcorn for a snack. That is when it hit me! Why not make sugary Skittles candied popcorn!?!
HOW TO MAKE CANDY POPCORN
I started with a simple syrup recipe (you’ll find that below). I added Skittles to the mix and let the candies melt. Then, I popped fresh popcorn. I did not use microwaved varieties, because I did not want to worry about butter or other flavors affecting the taste of the candied popcorn. You can try microwave if you prefer, but make sure it has no salt or butter on it.
Let’s get back to the recipe. I melted the candies and butter on the stove. Then, I made my popcorn and poured the melted candies over the top and mixed well. Then, I spread the candied corn onto a sheet oOnce the candies were melted and blended into the mixture, I poured it over the popcorn and mixed well. The, spread it my candy flavored popcorn onto a sheet of waxed paper so it could cool.
Once done, my kids and I dug in. They thought it was amazing and couldn’t believe that I had turned popcorn into Skittles!! I got some serious “Cool Mom” points for that
Here is the recipe, so you can have fun creating yours with your own family. Just be prepared for lots of smiles and lots of fun!!Print
Skittles Candy Popcorn Recipe
Transform regular popcorn into sweet candy popcorn in just a few minutes.
- Category: Desserts
- 4 cups of popcorn (plain, unsalted)
- 4 oz butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of Skittles® (use one flavor for each batch)
- Waxed paper
- Pop your corn according to package instructions. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Rip a sheet of waxed paper (about 8 – 10″ long) and lie on your counter.
- Melt butter and brown sugar on the stove on medium heat. Stir frequently to avoid scorching.
- Pour in the Skittles® candies. Stir until melted (you might need to mash them down to help them dissolve).
- Once done melting pour the hot candy mixture over the top of the popcorn.
- Use a spatula and fold in the mixture throughout the popcorn until well covered.
- Dump the popcorn onto the waxed paper and spread thinly to allow to cool.
- If you wish to make popcorn balls, allow mixture to cool for 3 – 4 minutes (or until you can touch it). Then, spray cooking spray or butter your hands and form the popcorn into balls shapes. Set aside.
- Allow all to fully set (around 15 – 20 minutes)
- Store in airtight containers for about a week
Keywords: candy popcorn recipe, candied popcorn, Skittles recipes