Have you ever heard of Skittles popcorn? It is the perfect marriage of a salty snack and a sweet treat. It is also super easy to make!
I’m sharing #Skittles in my life as part of a Skittles® and Dollar General sponsored series for Socialstars™
I don’t know if you knew it or not, but Skittles is not just a sweet treat. I did not know that they had a sour variety (and as I type this, I am feeling that twinge you get in the back of your taste buds when you eat something sour – and I love it)!!
I am actually a sucker for things that are sour. I absolutely love those sour flavors. The way you find this on Skittles® is on the outer shell. It is coated with a sour sugary mixture and the minute it hits your tongue, your taste buds wake up and start to dance! Of course, not everyone in my family is into many things sour, so I wanted to find a treat that we would both enjoy.
Other fun candy ideas:
I walked around the kitchen and opened the pantry. At about that same time, my youngest asked me if she could have microwave popcorn for a snack. That is when it hit me! Why not make sugary Skittles popcorn!?!
HOW TO MAKE CANDY POPCORN
I started with a simple syrup recipe (you’ll find that below). I added Skittles to the mix and let the candies melt. Then, I popped fresh popcorn. I did not use microwaved varieties, because I did not want to worry about butter or other flavors affecting the taste of the candied popcorn. You can try microwave, if you prefer, but make sure it has no salt or butter on it.
Once the candies were melted and blended into the mixture, I poured it over the popcorn and mixed well. The, spread it onto a sheet of waxed paper so it cool.
Once cooled, we all had to try it! My kids thought it was amazing that their mom was able to turn Skittles and regular popcorn into sweet popcorn! I got some serious “Cool Mom” points for that
Here is the recipe, so you can have fun creating yours with your own family. Just be prepared for lots of smiles and lots of fun!!Print
Skittles Candied Popcorn Recipe
- Category: Desserts
- 4 cups of popcorn (plain, unsalted)
- 4 oz butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of Skittles® (make sure single flavor used
- Waxed paper
- Pop your corn according to package instructions. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Rip a sheet of waxed paper (about 8 – 10″ long) and lie on your counter.
- Melt butter and brown sugar on the stove on medium heat. Stir frequently to avoid scorching.
- Pour in the Skittles® candies. Stir until melted (you might need to mash them down to help them dissolve).
- Once done melting pour the hot candy mixture over the top of the popcorn.
- Use a spatula and fold in the mixture throughout the popcorn until will covered.
- Dump the popcorn onto the waxed paper and spread thinly to allow to cool.
- If you wish to make popcorn balls, allow mixture to cool for 3 – 4 minutes (or until you can touch it). Then, spray cooking spray or butter your hands and form the popcorn into balls shapes. Set aside.
- Allow all to fully set (around 15 – 20 minutes)
- Store in airtight containers for about a week