Soul Speaking – French Onion Soup Recipe
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- 32 oz Beef Broth
- 1 Red Onion, thinly sliced in rings
- 3 Sweet White Onion, thinly sliced in rings
- Provolone Cheese, sliced
- Thick cut stale french bread, cut into large 2×2 crouton pieces
- 1 cup Red Wine (any cheap wine will work)
- 1/4 cup Brandy Liquor (optional)
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Slice onions into very thin rings.
- In a Dutch oven, saute in olive oil with, salt, pepper and white sugar. Cook until onions are half way cooked.
- Add butter to sauteed onions and cook until translucent.
- Add beef broth, wine and brandy liquor to onion mixture. Let simmer for about 30 minutes. This will allow all of the alcohol out of the soup.
- Cut French bread up into thick “crouton” like pieces. It is best to use stale bread. Toast your french bread in the oven, until golden brown.
- Transfer soup into oven safe bowls, add a few crouton/bread pieces and cover the top of the soup with 1-2 provolone cheese slices.
- Broil for 3-4 minutes or until cheese if fully melted and lightly browned.
- Carefully remove from soup from the oven. Serve and Enjoy 🙂