When the weather turns cooler, it makes you want to curl up with things that are warm like a blanket or to sit by the fire. These things are so comforting for your outside, but what about the inside.
Cooler evenings make me want something special for dinner – like soup! One of those that I love to make is Cream of Broccoli soup! Mmm……
This is not just that icky stuff you get out of can (blech). This is made-from-scratch-make-your-belly-happy Cream of Broccoli soup. It is not difficult to make, and you might find that you even have everything you need right at home so that you can make it for dinner tonight (and then take a thermos with you to work tomorrow)!
- 3 cups broccoli
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 4 TBSP flour
- 6 TBSP butter
- 1½ cups heavy cream or whole milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Sour cream & Cheddar cheese (optional toppings)
- Pour chicken broth, water, broccoli into a large stockpot. Turn stove top to high and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan melt butter over medium heat, saute onions until translucent. Add flour and create a rue. Once it has a thick paste like consistency, slowly add cream and whisk well.
- Add cream mixture to boiling broccoli (do not drain liquid).
- Let simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt, pepper or other seasonings to taste.
- Serve with cheddar cheese and sour cream.