Eating healthy doesn’t mean you need to eliminate familiar flavors from your diet! Sometimes eating healthy means just finding a different approach to your favorite foods. Sometimes I’m a little leary of trying healthier versions of food I love, in fear that I will hate it. Mexican Zucchini Boats were definitely a pleasant surprise! They were super easy to make, and the texture and flavor is awesome!
Mexican Zucchini Boats are a great alternative to regular tacos or burritos, and are good for you too! Zucchini is full of great vitamins and has great flavor too. This recipe is quick, and involves baking the zucchini a while before adding the toppings, so it’s nice and soft when you eat it. You can customize the toppings to add or take away what you and your family enjoy most on Mexican night!
- 5 mini zucchini
- 1 can of refried beans
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 12 oz bag frozen corn
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Cut both ends of the mini zucchini off, and then cut the zucchini in half long ways.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds from the zucchini.
- Place the zucchini on a baking sheet, with the peel side down, and sprinkle liberally with the cumin.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
- While the zucchini bakes, brown the hamburger.
- Drain the grease from the hamburger once it's cooked through.
- Add the taco seasoning, water, black beans, and corn to the hamburger, and cook on low for ten minutes.
- Heat up the refried beans on the stove top until they're warm.
- Remove the zucchini from the oven. Use a spoon to swipe refried beans along the inside of the zucchini.
- Fill the Mexican Zucchini Boats with the meat mixture and top with the cheese.
- Allow the cheese to melt, and serve once it melts.
If you liked this recipe, you would probably like: