If you are planning on hosting a dinner party soon, or just looking for some fun new affordable placemats for your home decor – these DIY Burlap Placemats are perfect! They are crazy easy to make, cost less than $0.50 each and are the perfect shabby chic touch!
- 1 yard burlap
- black paint
- paint brush
- stencil (or Silhouette machine to make your own stencil)
- First measure your placemats to cut at 14 x 20 inches.
- Put your iron on HIGH and iron each placemat until smooth.
- Along the edges of the placemat pull, 2-3 threads to create a small fringe. (I recommend before creating the fringe if you have a sewing machine, sew a fine straight line with white thread along all of the edges. This will make it so that your fringe does not continue to pull apart too much. This step is recommended, but not required. I skipped this step as we are only using these placemats for short term use.)
- Take your stencil (or make your own with your Silhouette machine) and create words to paint onto your burlap (ie. DINE, EAT, CHOW, FEAST, NOURISH…)
- With a sponge paint brush and black paint, carefully dab paint onto stencils until fully covered. Allow paint to dry for at least 10 minutes before carefully removing stencil.
- Once the paint is completely dry, have some fun decorating your dining room table. These DIY Burlap Placemats are sure to impress your next dinner party!